The figure shows a cell with the following labeled:
● Chloride (Cl-) ion concentrations (measured in mM) inside and outside the cell
● Membrane potential (-70 mV)
● Cl- channel
a) In this situation there is net movement of Cl- ions out of the cell through the Cl- channel (as indicated by the arrow). What would have to change to cause net movement of Cl- INTO the cell? Identify as many ways as you can.
b) Explain how the ways you identified above cause Cl- to move INTO the cell.
We recommend that you administer these questions as homework and preface the question with these instructions for students:
"For the following question, please respond to the best of your knowledge and using only the information in the question and what you know. Please do not refer to any outside sources (textbooks, notes, internet, etc.). Any reasonable attempt to answer the question will be awarded full credit."
To administer this question:
- Create a text question in your learning management system
- Copy the text and any images for the question from this web site and paste it into your learning management system.
To analyze your data for questions with Reports Available:
- Login to your account on this website
- Return to this question
- Click on the link below Analyze your data for this question.
- Upload your spreadsheet for analysis
- Use the ‘Student Text Response Column (Start)’ dropdown menu to select the column containing the student responses to part a of the question.
- Use the ‘Student Text Response Column (End)’ dropdown menu to select the column containing the student responses to part b of the question.
- Both columns containing student responses should now be highlighted in teal
- Add a note (e.g. pre-instruction) to your file if desired