This is a graph of the potential energy change as two helium atoms approach each other. As the two helium atoms get closer they attract one another and the potential energy decreases as shown by the circled region.
Please explain why the atoms attract and the process by which it occurs in the box below.
Hint: Think about what’s happening with the electrons.
We recommend that you administer these questions as homework and preface the question with these instructions for students:
"For the following question, please respond to the best of your knowledge and using only the information in the question and what you know. Please do not refer to any outside sources (textbooks, notes, internet, etc.). Any reasonable attempt to answer the question will be awarded full credit."
To administer this question:
- Create a text question in your learning management system
- Copy the text and any images for the question from this web site and paste it into your learning management system.
To analyze your data for questions with Reports Available:
- Login to your account on this website
- Return to this question
- Click on the link below Analyze your data for this question.
- Upload your spreadsheet for analysis